Wednesday 29 December 2021

Best Books I Read in 2021

Well, perhaps I'm a little embarrassed that my last blog post was a similar post a year ago, but it is what it is. I read 90 books in 2021, abandoned 7, and borrowed just shy of $3000 in library materials.

If you are wondering about my secret for reading so much, the main reason is pretty simple - we don't subscribe to cable or any streaming services, so if I actually want to watch a show I have to actively seek it out via download or DVD. I do watch probably 45 mins of TV a day on average but I have pretty much successfully purged binging from my life since doing away with streaming services. 

I have also mentioned that joining (or starting!) a book club is an awesome way to get reading more, and also to be pushed out of your reading comfort zone. Highly recommend if you want to read more but don't know how to get started.

Here is my list of my 10 favourite fiction and non-fiction/memoir books (in no particular order) that I read this year, plus some honourable mentions. Previous years' lists are here and here. Links are to my Goodreads reviews. Please use your local library or buy from an independent bookstore when possible!


Five Best Fiction

The Sentence by Louise Erdrich - I finally began reading Louise Erdrich this year which was perhaps the highlight of my reading journey in 2021. She is so wonderful! I read three of her books and while I initially thought I liked the Pulitzer-winning The Night Watchman better, I cannot seem to stop thinking about this one. If you can handle a pandemic story, I loved this one (and everything I read by her).

Raybearer by Jordan Ifueko - After some heavy book club reads I chose this acclaimed YA fantasy for a summer read and we all adored it. The world building is truly incredible and such a rich story. First in a duology.

Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi - I can't wait to keep reading everything Yaa Gyasi writes. This, her debut novel, was one of those epic family sagas that she somehow packed into a fairly short book. A real triumph! Would be great for book clubs.

Return of the Trickster by Eden Robinson - A crazy, violent, funny, heartfelt end to perhaps my favourite series of all time. My book club devoured this series and continues to be obsessed with it. I recommend it to everyone.

Malice Aforethought by Francis Iles - I was shocked to like this horrible story so much, but the writing was so witty I couldn't help but love it. In my review I said it's as if Thomas Harris and Jane Austen did a collab. 

Honourable mentions to: The Night Watchman by Louise Erdrich and There There by Tommy Orange. I also read my way through the full murder list from Eight Perfect Murders by Peter Swanson, and then finished off with the book, and it was a lot of fun. You also must read Redemptor by Jordan Ifueko if you read Raybearer!


Five Best Non-Fiction/Memoir

Starlight Tour: The Last, Lonely Night of Neil Stonechild by Susanne Reber and Robert Renaud - This is a fascinating and devastating deep dive into a really dark moment in Saskatoon's history. I couldn't stop thinking about it while I was reading. It's heavy, but essential reading.

Period Repair Manual by Lara Briden - I went down a very very deep rabbit hole in the latter part of the year to try and learn more about my hormones to see if I can sort out some ongoing health issues. Unfortunately knowledge is power, and I kind of miss the blissful ignorance, but at the same time I am pretty infuriated that they don't teach us this stuff in grade 5 when they hand out the pads. 

A Radiant Life: The Honourable Sylvia Fedoruk - Scientist, Sports Icon, and Stateswoman by Merle Massie - I always knew who Sylvia Fedoruk was but it was so incredible to learn about her rich and full life. I loved this book and have recommended it to a lot of people. 

Born on a Blue Day: Inside the Extraordinary Mind of an Autistic Savant by Daniel Tammet - I read this one way early in 2021 so my memory is a bit fuzzy, but it was so interesting and made me see the world differently. 

Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert - Okay, I know this is not a "cool" or "woke" book to like, but I really enjoyed it and think of it fairly often.

Honourable mentions to: Eat a Peach by David Chang, Becoming by Michelle Obama,  Bent out of Shape by Karen Messing, and Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler



No comments:

Post a Comment