Thursday 21 November 2019

Joining a Book Club


Until about grade six, I was the weird kid to only wanted to read all the time. As I got into my teen years, I prioritized having friends/not getting bullied so I didn’t read as much anymore, and into adulthood kind of went through phases where I’d buy a bunch of books and read for a while, and then not read for a stretch of quite a few months. A few years ago a library opened up within walking distance of my house, and I have been reading a LOT ever since. 

It turns out, you can get books for free?! as long as you bring them back eventually. You don't have to be a slave to Amazon and shell out 30 bucks for a paperback (or a few megabytes) you might not finish or like! What a concept. The library is the best. Please, take all of my tax dollars. On average, I probably get through 1.5 books a week (I’m up to 74 in 2019 as of today). Because my husband also got really into the library about a year after me, we’ve actually done some (drastic?) things like cancel Netflix in order to spend more time with books.


(The SPL also does this great thing where they tell you the value of all the books you've taken out. I'm up to $2650 in 2019 - can I read 3 grand worth of books before December 31? Challenge accepted!)

One very fun thing that has happened as a result of reading a lot is joining a book club! I was out for supper with a friend I hadn’t seen in a long time, and she mentioned Tara Westover’s Educated, which her book club had just finished reading. I’d read the book and loved it a few months before, so she invited me to come to the meeting the next evening.

It is so enjoyable to read a book and then get to talk about it with other people who also read it. And maybe the best part is it has exposed me to books I never would have picked off the shelf for myself, but am so glad to have read. And this has made me a bit more adventurous at the library, in grabbing books I haven’t vetted through the Goodreads reviews beforehand (which has worked out well... most of the time).

I think there is some sort of joke out there that “book club” is a euphemism/excuse for getting out of the house and drinking wine. While the quorum at the meetings of my book club generally have finished the book, one is also always welcome to come listen to spoilers and have a visit even if they didn’t read it. It is just a very nice and wholesome grownup activity, where the beverage of choice is usually herbal tea so that we can all still get to bed at a reasonable hour. Being a grownup is great!

One cool thing that the Saskatoon Public Library offers is public book clubs, so if you don’t have a friend with a ready-made book club to join you can sign up and join the monthly discussion. It’s a free activity with a lot of potential benefits, and the worst thing that could happen is not liking the book. I like those odds!

No comments:

Post a Comment