Thursday 5 December 2019

Alternate Gift Idea - Meewasin


My last post admittedly did only discuss “material” gifts. I possibly implied that they are the best gifts, but of course the actual best gifts are more meaningful than chocolate from Shoppers. I was mainly focusing on thoughtful gifts that one could give to anyone on their list, including the co-worker you don’t know very well but drew the name of in office Secret Santa.


The true best gifts for people you care a lot about are experiences, or tied to shared memories, and today I will talk about a Saskatoon gift idea along that theme.

I assume if you’ve ever been to Saskatoon, you’ve spent some time near the river. You may not be aware that the conservation of the river valley, not just in the city limits but covering a pretty large area outside ofthe city as well, is managed by the Meewasin Valley Authority (MVA). Fed a chickadee at Beaver Creek? Meewasin. Skated at the outdoor rink downtown? Meewasin. Sat on a bench along the river trails, or spent an afternoon watching pelicans at the weir? Meewasin! You get the picture.

(photo credit to my dad)

The MVA unfortunately does not have unlimited funding, and has had to scale back some beloved services in recent years, so it’s an important cause to donate to if you have the means (and advocate for when you have the opportunity!). Right now until December 20, one of the MVA’s founding members is matching donations up to $50,000, so your gift can go even further.

(no colour editing whatsoever)

The MVA offers a few “dedication” donation options which can make for very special gifts. It looks like they have raised the minimum donations for these items in the last year, so are probably a bit beyond the everyday gift budget. If you do have the means, the limit starts at $150, and these donations get you an invite to the annual tree dedication ceremony in the early summer. Last year I dedicated a brick in memory of my dad, so my family and I went to the ceremony and then for a walk at River Landing to find the brick. Similarly it would be nice to do this with “your” tree or shrub! Or, if you make a smaller donation, it could still be accompanied with a nice card and an IOU for going out to Beaver Creek and feeding the chickadees with the recipient, in lieu of a material gift.

(so many Western Red Lilies at Beaver Creek this past June!)

Even if you can’t donate, it’s a nice time of year to reflect on how lucky we are to have the MVA in Saskatoon. I’m sure I’ve taken it for granted most of my life, assuming most other cities also have such well-maintained, four-season public spaces along their river valleys, but I know this not to be true. I can't count the number of times that spending time in Meewasin has turned my day around, or given me a special and lasting memory - we are so fortunate!

No comments:

Post a Comment