Sunday 26 April 2020

Look Up! Wayyy Up!


Yes, I am going to continue harping on everyone to get into birdwatching this summer! To help you get started, I'm going to talk a bit about the concept of a "spark bird" - i.e. a bird that is somewhat special to you and sparks your interest in learning more about birds. Spring migration (i.e. right now) is a great time to find your spark bird!

I'm not 100% on my spark bird, but I think it was a chipping sparrow. We'd put a feeder in our backyard shortly after moving into our house and were pleasantly surprised that it attracted tons of American Goldfinches. They were beautiful and fun to watch, but they weren't my spark bird.



One afternoon in spring I was digging some dandelions or something, and saw a tiny sparrow-like bird with an orange crown land near me, pick through the grass a bit, and then fly away. I didn't see it again for quite some time, but it inspired us to buy a bird book and the lovely staff at Wild Birds Unlimited helped identify it as a chipping sparrow. Now we get them regularly in our yard.



If you pay attention, it is pretty magical how many types of birds you might be able to see from your yard or balcony. Notice all the geese flying overhead right now? They are not all "just" Canada Geese - bust out some binoculars and take a closer look, or listen for different sounds. If the sound is less honking and more coo-like, those birds are likely sandhill cranes! If the birds are honking but you can see they are fairly white, they are likely snow geese! I had flocks of both flying over my yard all morning yesterday.

(flock of sandhill cranes)


Right now also is a great time for one of my favourite adorable birds, the dark eyed junco. We pretty much only see them during spring and fall migration, but if you put some feed out in the yard they will hang around for a few weeks. They are fun to watch because they come in a variety of shades and colours (ranging from black to gray to brown, haha). Here's the most interesting-coloured one I've had in my yard so far:


Bohemian waxwings are still around, feasting and getting drunk off old berries and crabapples! If you've got a tree with dried up apples or berries in your vicinity, watch it for flocks of visiting waxwings. These friends will soon be replaced with their summer cousins, cedar waxwings, who are a little more brown in colour but just as beautiful.


These are all birds I've been able to see right out the window. I know we are allowed to go out for walks and get exercise, but if you're sick, under quarantine, or even just need a quick work break, birding is a pretty great nature activity you can do without leaving home, no matter where you live, and a really easy one to get kids involved with too!

(As mentioned Wild Birds Unlimited is a wonderful store, and I also like to buy bulk feed from Early's - they have a great selection of feeders as well.)

No comments:

Post a Comment