Tuesday 20 August 2019

Getting Exercise


The single best thing I’ve done for my general health and wellbeing over the past few years is finally, truly get into the habit of regular exercise. We all know that exercise is supposed to be the magical cure-all (or at least a drastic risk-lowerer) for everything from heart disease to cancer to depression, but darn it if this isn’t easier said than done. There are many forms of exercise that are just not fun and even though you know it makes you feel better after you do it, what a burden to work up the energy and willpower to actually start! Here is what helped me build exercise into my daily routine. 

  1. Methodically make it a habit - I began my “daily exercise” journey with a New Year’s Resolution to get at least “some form” of exercise every day. This didn’t mean a set amount of time, just to do SOMETHING active. This could even include mowing the lawn. For about six months, I recorded my daily exercise in a spreadsheet, until I got to the point where I was remembering to exercise but forgetting to update the spreadsheet. It’s true what they say – when you start doing something healthy with the goal of doing a little, you end up wanting to do more. This began in January 2018 and I’ve maybe only missed a handful of days due to illness or injury.
  2. Active transportation - I just said I made exercise a part of my routine, but I don’t actually have a routine. I’ve been doing a masters degree for the past two years, and working casual part time at two other jobs since early 2019. This schedule does not lend itself to a daily gym visit at 4pm, so I have worked towards incorporating active transportation into my life whenever possible. This means: if I need to go to the grocery store (three of which are within 2 km of my house), I walk or bike. If it’s possible to walk or bike to work (or even go to work a bit early and take the long way from my parking spot), I do. Not surprisingly all the excuses I used to make that “biking from my house to the university is too far” turned out to be completely unfounded. It takes only 10 more minutes to bike to campus/downtown than to drive, and upon arrival I feel energized rather than lethargic as I am no longer draining my mental energy via driving.
  3. Fun, cheap exercise at home - For days where I don’t have to go to work/school/store, or if it’s pouring rain with 100km winds, I figured out out what kinds of exercise I could do at home that I didn’t hate. While we have a power rack and some body weight equipment in the basement, I just don’t like weight training (though this is my husband Brahm’s preference for habitual exercise). What I do like is yoga, and jumping on a trampoline. I bought a used mini trampoline for $30 and an annual subscription to yogadownload.com for $40, and have two very enjoyable forms of exercise I can do when I have a free half hour, without leaving the house.


In the end, like so many things we know will improve our lives but don’t do, it came down to stopping making excuses as to why I couldn’t exercise. That said, it also helps that I live close enough to walk year-round to a few places I frequent (grocery store, drugstore, library). While it might add a few minutes to a commute to bike or walk, I see it as an efficiency gain as not only am I getting from A to B, I’m also improving my health and energy levels (as well as not spending any money on gas).

I haven’t become a fitness guru by any means, and I could always be in better shape, but I feel stronger both physically and mentally, and empowered by active transportation. I hope I’ve been able to cultivate a habit that will stick with me for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment